From AAPD: For Complete Post, click here…
What is National Disability Voter Registration Week?
Every year, the REV UP Campaign coordinates National Disability Voter Registration Week (NDVRW) to increase the political power of people with disabilities by sharing resources and getting folks registered to vote. This year, NDVRW is September 13-20, 2021. In the last election, an estimated 38 million people with disabilities were eligible to vote, and we invite national, state, and local organizations to participate in NDVRW in order to continue to raise the disability voice and civic participation across the country in 2021 and beyond!
Now Available: 2021 NDVRW Partner Toolkit!
How Can I Get Involved with NDVRW?
There are many ways to participate in NDVRW! To get involved, you can:
- Host a Voter Registration or Education Event! Host an event to register people with disabilities to vote or help voters in your state understand the rules, disability voting rights, voting options, safety-protocols, and key dates for the 2021 elections. For ideas and guidance on hosting an event, check out our NDVRW Partner Toolkit.
- Activate your Social Media! Use the power and reach of social media to motivate your network to register and vote and inform voters on your state’s election rules and dates. For sample social media posts and graphics, check out our NDVRW Social Media Toolkit.
- Write letters to the editor or Op-Eds and engage local radio or TV stations on the growing efforts by the disability community. Check out The Op-Ed Project for tips on writing a compelling Op-Ed!
- Organize a candidate town hall event or distribute candidate questionnaires to engage candidates with people with disabilities in your community. As a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization you must send an invitation to all candidates. Nonprofit VOTE offers additional resources and guides on staying nonpartisan.
- Connect with other disability rights and voting rights organizations in your area to partner on events and initiatives during NDVRW.
- Ask your Governor, Mayor, City Council, County Commissioner, or State Representative to issue a proclamation declaring September 13-17 & 20, 2021, National Disability Voter Registration Week. Find a draft Proclamation here and send any Proclamations you receive to firstname.lastname@example.org!