From National Consumer Voice: For Complete Post, click here…
Creative writing and artistic expression are meaningful and compelling ways to highlight the importance of residents’ rights and how these rights can be carried out in all long-term care settings. Residents are invited to get creative by participating in this year’s Resident’s Voice Challenge. The Resident’s Voice Challenge is an opportunity for long-term care consumers to respond to and reflect on this year’s theme – Reclaiming My Rights, My Home, My Life.
How to Participate:
This year’s theme emphasizes that the long-term care facility is the residents’ home. As part of the Resident’s Voice Challenge, we will be selecting original resident artwork to be featured on a door hanger. These door hangers will serve as a reminder for anyone who visits, that this is your home.
- Create a piece of art that reflects what home means to you or how you make your space feel like home.
- Types of artwork submissions: original drawings, paintings, sketches, photography*
- Submissions must be produced by a long-term care consumer or consumers.
- We will select one or more pieces of resident artwork to be featured on the Consumer Voice website and on a door hanger available in the Consumer Voice online store.
- Residents will be notified if their artwork has been selected. Residents whose artwork is selected will receive complimentary door hangers.
*If a resident appears in a photo with their artwork, they must sign a photo release form.
Alternatively, residents can respond to the Resident’s Voice Challenge in writing, audio, or via video. Answer one or more of the following questions:
- What did you miss most while visitation and activities were limited? What is your life like now as a long-term care resident?
- What are you looking forward to most in the next year (doing an activity, seeing a loved one, etc.)?
- What does home mean to you? How do you make where you live feel like home?
- What can your facility staff do to help make your residence a home?
Possible entries include:
Video or audio recordings, poems, essays, word collages, songs, artwork or drawings, or photos. Get creative!
Each participant featured in a photo or video must fill out a release form.
How to Submit Your Entry:
Deadline: September 1, 2021
- Take a high-resolution photo of your artwork and email the JPG or PNG file to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment. Is your file too large to email? Send us a note at email@example.com and we can arrange the transfer of large files.
Mail – Note our NEW ADDRESS below
- Send the original version of your artwork to our office (use large, sturdy envelopes or mailing tubes if needed).
Attn: Resident’s Voice Submission
1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20036
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.